Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Reader question: Is dating in the workplace a bad idea?

Q: Hi Haley. My question regards office dating. I have worked in the same office for about a year and am interested in a woman there. I can at least tell she is interested in me as well, though I don't know if her interest is genuine or just a 'crush'. We are both temps and will be moving to different companies (in the same city) after we are done here, so I figure it's not a terrible idea since we will be out of here anyway. However people are still telling me that office dating is a bad idea. What do you think?


--Dan


A: Dan, I hate to say it, but I have to side with your naysayers--for now. I understand that you have a significant interest in this girl, but if you are so sure that you will both be getting out of there soon, then wait until you do! Unfortunately, a lot can happen in your remaining months at the same company, and some of those outcomes could ravage your personal life and affect your work performance. I know that the flirty atmosphere is probably palpable at this point. For now, keep it cool, and maybe ask her to lunch towards the end of your tenure at your current company. In the mean time, focus on work, or if you feel like she is not totally worth it, focus on dating other women outside your work.


Best of luck!


--Dr. O.

No comments:

Post a Comment